Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
The time that is necessary to perform restore and bring the system back to service.
- target for backup stratagy: minimal RTO
Recovery Point Objective (RPO)
The state time in that a restore can occur. For example, a daily data protection is performed, so data of 24 hours can be lost. In this case RPO is 24 hours.
- target for backup strategy: minimal RPO
Is the time used for backup. In typical backup environments the backup window is smaller then RTO, because only one backup can be active at the same time.
- target for backup strategy: minimal backup window
Backup Impact (BI)
This is the restriction of the production environment in case of backup.
- target for backup strategy: minimal BI
Are the protected data complex and combined like databases it is necessary to capture complete data. The capture of a consistent backup takes place without BI.
- target for backup strategy: consistent backup
Restore has to be reliable. Therefor backup sceneries have to be tested regarding to recover of soperating state. The test has to be done regular to guarantee restore function. This is important to eliminate mistakes and documentate the process in case of restore.
- target for backup strategy: reliable restore